They say there’s a first time for everything, and with just over two-and-a-half months until our ‘escape date’, it’s high time for our first blog post. After five years of ‘one day’ dreaming, and another two-and-a-half years of committed planning and research, things are now gaining momentum, and we are doing our best to cross items off our ‘to do’ lists faster than we add new ones! However, they also say that life is what happens when you’re busy making other plans, and we can certainly attest to that…
As our more observant readers will have noticed, the countdown until we escape disappeared from our website a couple of months ago, but is now back in place, busily enumerating the months, weeks, days, hours, minutes and seconds before we hit the road. The hiatus was due to ‘life’ reminding us (not so gently, we – and Paul in particular – would argue!) that we only have so much control over our destiny…Just weeks before we were due to give notice on our lease and our jobs, our plans had to be put on hold due to Paul needing surgery – something that we couldn’t possibly have anticipated.
While the surgery was routine (and Paul is now recovering well), we had to rethink everything. For several weeks while we waited for the surgery date to be confirmed, things were in limbo; although we knew that we would still definitely be heading off on our adventure, we couldn’t be sure when. Despite the many, many lists (in notebooks and diaries and on butcher’s paper plastered all over the house) and several countdowns (on the front door, our phones, calendars and the laptop) we’ve created to manage the enormous task of preparing for a new life on the road, this was a clear reality check that things don’t always happen the way we want them to!
Once we knew when Paul’s surgery was happening, and could allow appropriate time for his recovery, we forged ahead with preparations. Figuring that we could take advantage of the time Paul wouldn’t be using the car for work, we booked Saj in for several big-ticket modifications…only to learn that a suspicious oil leak that Paul has been trying to get resolved for the past 12 months is now going to cost at least $2000 to ‘investigate’. Talk about testing our resolve!
Needless to say, our resolve is firmer than ever, so it seemed fitting to restart our countdown today, the day after our scheduled departure date of 31 May (designed to take us out of Victoria before the official start of winter!). We’re now looking forward to Monday 18 August, when we’ll leave Melbourne with perhaps even bigger smiles than we would have had yesterday! In the meantime, there’s still lots to do, not to mention many blog posts to write, so we’ll sign off for now. Stay tuned for more about our preparations…and hopefully not too many more surprises/challenges!